PI: Udo Ziegler, AIP
COntributions: Oliver Gressel, NBI, Kobenhagen, Denmark
NIRVANA is a grid-based C code which numerically integrates the time-dependent equations of a multi-physics system consisting of non-relativistic compressible magnetohydrodynamics, various dissipation processes, self-gravity and a heatloss source term. The code works in 2D/3D Cartesian/cylindrical/spherical geometry and makes use of state-of-the-art numerical methods. NIRVANA allows for adaptive mesh refinement in order to handle multi-scale flows and is MPI parallelized.
CODE VERSION: 3.8
- Newtonian hydrodynamics/magnetohydrodynamics
- viscosity, magnetic diffusion, thermal conduction
- anisotropic (magnetic-field-dependent) Spitzer conductivity model including saturation effects
- ambipolar diffusion (strong coupling limit)
- different gas equation of states (isothermal, adiabatic, polytropic, user-defined)
- heatloss term (e.g. ISM cooling/heating function)
- passive tracer
- external forces
- rotating frame of reference
- Divide-et-Impera / Strang-type operator splitting
- 2nd-order FV approach
- central-upwind or HLLD-based flux computation
- constrained-transport scheme for induction equation
- 2nd/3rd-order Runge-Kutta time integrator for MHD
- 2nd-order FD scheme for dissipative fluxes
- 2nd-order (stabilized) Runge-Kutta-Legendre integrator (Super-Timestepping) for stiff dissipation terms
- exact integrator for Coriolis force term
- MLAT-type multigrid Poisson solver
- dual energy formalism
- look-up table scheme based on cubic interpolation techniques
- 3rd-order exponential Rosenbrock method for heatloss term
ADAPTIVE MESH REFINEMENT
- block-structured approach
- conservative & divergence-free infrastructure
- triggered by derivatives, Jeans-length, Field-length
- based on MPI library
- coarse-grained communication model
- load balancing/mesh partitioning via standard domain decomposition (unigrid) or space-filling curve techniques (AMR)
Please write an e-mail to email@example.com in case you are interested in the code. Please note that distribution of the NIRVANA code comes in accord with the following
DISTRIBUTION. The NIRVANA code is distributed by Udo Ziegler only for non-commercial, scientific purposes.
MODIFICATIONS. Please keep the copyright notice in the code modules intact.
CO-AUTHORSHIP. Udo Ziegler requests to be a co-author in a user's first publication using NIRVANA.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS. Please acknowledge the use of the NIRVANA code in publications by adding a statement like "This work used the NIRVANA code developed by Udo Ziegler at the Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam".
DISCLAIMER. The NIRVANA code comes without any warranty. The distributor does not accept responsibility for consequences of its usage.