27 March 2015 The Federal Ministry of Education and Research will fund the Centre for Innovation Competence innoFSPEC for another five years. Federal Minister Johanna Wanka praises the scientific expertise.
12 February 2015. In the highly interdisciplinary research project "Loss of the Night", scientists of very different institutions of the Leibniz Association investigate the increasing illumination of the night, its ecological, cultural and socioeconomic effects, and the effects on human health. Their aim is to develop improved lighting concepts and sustainable technologies.
23 October 2014. The images show a large Sunspot that appeared two days earlier. The SDI telescope uses the Sun as a guide star to keep its image to be well-projected onto the entrance fibres to the spectrograph. As it is equipped with a guiding video camera, it allows us to observe any other events of interest like the partial solar eclipse in Arizona on October 23 which lasted from 14:21 to 16:45 MST with a maximum of the obscuration up to 33% at 15:37 MST (UTC-7).
22 October 2014. The Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam (AIP) welcomes Jenny Sorce, who received a Humboldt Research Fellowship for Postdoctoral Researchers.
1 September 2014. The AIP welcomes this years Karl Schwarzschild Fellow Else Starkenburg. She completed her Ph.D. in 2011 at the Kapteyn Astronomical Institute of the University of Groningen in the Netherlands. Else Starkenburg also holds an M.Sc. in Physics and Astronomy and an M.A. in Theoretical Philosophy.
25 August 2014. The Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam (AIP) hosts its 11th Thinkshop under the title "Satellite galaxies and dwarfs in the local group“. From August 25 to 29 over 130 scientists will get together on the Potsdam Telegrafenberg to discuss their research in the field of cosmology.
30 June 2014. Today Prof. R. Brent Tully from the Institute for Astronomy Honolulu, Hawaii receives the Wempe Award in recognition of his groundbreaking research about the structure of galaxies and the large-scale structure of the cosmos. Since many decades Tully has been promoting the analysis and mapping of galactic structures and flows. The award ceremony will take place from 3:30 p.m. at the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam (AIP).
23 June 2014. The CosmoSim database (www.cosmosim.org) has now been released after an intensive testing period. This service to the scientific community is the successor of the MultiDark database (www.multidark.org) and it is used as a platform for publishing and sharing data products from cosmological simulations.
+++ only German version available +++
27. März 2014. Zum Girls’Day / Zukunftstag Brandenburg hat das AIP wieder gut zwanzig Mädchen aus Brandenburg und Berlin eingeladen, einen Blick in die Welt der Astrophysik zu werfen.
29 November 2013. The Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities (Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften - BBAW) has elected Matthias Steinmetz, Director of the Leibniz Institute Potsdam (AIP), as a full member of the Academy. A total of seven new members were admitted. To be appointed, scientists must distinguish themselves through outstanding scientific achievements.
16 November 2013. For successfully bridging the gap between astronomy as a hobby and the world of science, Axel Schwope of the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam has been acknowledged.
6. Oktober 2013. Zwei Wissenschaftler des Leibniz-Instituts für Astrophysik Potsdam (AIP) sind mit dem „James Webb Space Telescope Significant Achievement Award“ der Europäischen Weltraumagentur ESA ausgezeichnet worden. Projektleiter Martin Roth und Projektwissenschaftler Joris Gerssen hatten mit ihrem Team in einem zweijährigen Projekt Programme zur Datenanalyse für das NIRSpec-Instrument der Firma Astrium GmbH entwickelt. NIRSpec (Near-Infrared Spectrograph) wird an das Weltraumteleskop James Webb, Nachfolger von Hubble, angeschlossen werden.
30. September 2013. Horst Künzel died aged 92 on 2013 September 20. His professional and scientific career was exceptional.
25 September 2013. The Karl-Schwarzschild Medal, one of the most honoured awards for astronomical research, goes to Karl-Heinz Rädler, scientist at at the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam (AIP). The Astronomische Gesellschaft (Astronomical Society) honours him for his research in the area of magnetohydrodynamic.
29. August 2013. The Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam (AIP) received the certificate from “berufundfamilie gGmbH”. The award highlights the efforts of AIP as a family-friendly employer in Brandenburg.
2 August 2013. At the beginning of August 1913 the Berlin Observatory - ancestor of the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam (AIP) - moved to Potsdam-Babelsberg. 100 years later the AIP celebrates this anniversary.
4. June 2013. Until last Friday more than hundred scientists from Europe, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Canada, Japan and the US discussed the latest news in high-resolution spectroscopy and the developement of a new generation of spectroscopes for the ELT. They were invited to come to Potsdam by the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam (AIP) to join the institute's 10th ThinkShop, an event supported by the DFG.
29 April 2013. The "Leibniz-Kolleg Potsdam" awards young scientists for their achievements in the field of publication and research.