Personal tools

Sections
You are here: Home / Research / Research Facilities / Media and Communications Center (MCC)
Print this  

Media and Communication Center

 

MCC.gif

 

 

The two inter-connected Meridian buildings at the Babelsberg research campus hold the robotics control centre of the automated telescopes operated by the AIP. The telescopes do not move by remote commands, but instead use artificial intelligence to create their own observational programme according to atmospheric and astronomical conditions. The gathered data can then be accessed online.

The Meridian buildings were originally built to house telescopes used to measure the passage of stars and to use this data to determine the exact time and position of the stars.

 

The Renovation and Remodelling of the Meridian Buildings

Over time, the meridian buildings fell into disrepair and needed to be renovated. Between 2002 and 2004, one sixth of all the steel and 30 per cent of the wood within the structure were replaced.  The buildings were thermally insulated and the formerly open observation slits were glassed. Today, a newly built entrance building connects the buildings. The third Meridian building, located in the northeast of the campus, stands free and is used only for museum purposes. Pistor and Martin’s great instrument from the year 1867 remains preserved in its original construction within. The instrument underwent a general overhaul before becoming a central attraction among the institute’s observation instruments.

Today, in addition to the control centre for the institute’s robotic telescopes, the MCC houses the LOFAR data centre, a seminar room, and a 3D projection room.

The renovations were made possible through the support of the European structural development fund EFRE. Eligibility criteria of the EFRE require the use of innovative solutions to regional structural development.

 

efre_logo_web.jpg

For more information see

Telescopes - History